Government predicts busy Atlantic hurricane season

Government predicts busy Atlantic hurricane season

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) on Thursday predicted that this year’s Atlantic hurricane season will be a busy one. 

There’s a 60 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 30 percent chance of a near-normal season and only a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season, according to the NOAA

The administration also predicted there could be between 13 to 19 named storms, including six to 10 hurricanes, three to six of which will be major storms.


Major hurricanes are those that fall into categories 3, 4 or 5. 

A typical Atlantic hurricane season, which falls between June 1 and Nov. 30, has about 12 named storms, six hurricanes and three major hurricanes. 

“As Americans focus their attention on a safe and healthy reopening of our country, it remains critically important that we also remember to make the necessary preparations for the upcoming hurricane season,” said Commerce Secretary Wilbur RossWilbur Louis RossNOAA hurricane forecast predicts record number of storms in 2020 33K laptops meant for Alabama distance learning are stuck in customs, could be held until October Mini-exodus of Trump officials from Commerce to lobby on semiconductors MORE in a statement. 

The projection follows a study published this week that found that storms such as hurricanes and typhoons are becoming more intense as the Earth warms.