SPONSORED:

NOAA predicts another above-average hurricane season

NOAA predicts another above-average hurricane season
© NOAA

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting an above-average hurricane season, but said it doesn’t expect this year to match the “historic” 2020. 

The agency said in a forecast released on Thursday that there's a 60 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 30 percent chance of a near-normal season and only a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season. 

This year, NOAA expects there to be between 13 and 20 named storms, six to 10 of which would become hurricanes. Between three and five are expected to be major hurricanes, or those in categories 3, 4 or 5. 

ADVERTISEMENT

If the prediction is accurate, it will be the sixth consecutive above-average season.

“Now is the time for communities along the coastline as well as inland to get prepared for the dangers that hurricanes can bring,” Commerce Secretary Gina RaimondoGina RaimondoOn World Oceans Day, we need a sea change Biden administration launches supply chain task force to tackle disruptions On The Money: White House sees paths forward on infrastructure despite stalled talks | Biden battles Dem divides | FBI seizes bitcoin ransom paid by Colonial Pipeline MORE said in a statement. 

Hurricane season falls between June 1 and Nov. 30. 

Last year’s season produced 30 named storms, the highest number on record. A total of 13 of these became hurricanes and six were major hurricanes.