Saudi Arabia has cancelled its plan to list the domestic and international stock of state oil megalith Aramco.
Four senior industry sources told Reuters on Wednesday that Saudi Arabia had tossed the idea as the kingdom looks to turn its focus toward the acquisition of a “strategic stake” in Saudi Basic Industries Corp 2010.SE, a local petrochemicals producer.
“The decision to call off the IPO was taken some time ago, but no-one can disclose this, so statements are gradually going that way — first delay then calling off,” a Saudi source familiar with the IPO plans told Reuters.
Saudi Aramco did not immediately respond to Reuters's request for comment.
Listing the Saudi Aramco IPO was a vital part of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s push to restructure the national oil company for long-term sustainability, lessening its dependence on oil revenue.
President TrumpDonald TrumpFormer defense secretary Esper sues Pentagon in memoir dispute Biden celebrates start of Hanukkah Fauci says lies, threats are 'noise' MORE had vied alongside other financial centers to host the international share sales in November of last year, The New York Times reported.
President Trump tweeted out a request to the Saudis that they choose the New York Stock Exchange.
Would very much appreciate Saudi Arabia doing their IPO of Aramco with the New York Stock Exchange. Important to the United States!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 4, 2017
One official told Reuters that the advisors had been put on standby.
“The IPO has not been officially called off, but the likelihood of it not happening at all is greater than it being on,” another advisor told the outlet.