Ford insists it won't build Chinese-made car in US despite Trump tweet

Ford insists it won't build Chinese-made car in US despite Trump tweet
© Getty Images

Ford Motor Company on Sunday pushed back against President TrumpDonald John TrumpLondon terror suspect’s children told authorities he complained about Trump: inquiry The Memo: Tide turns on Kavanaugh Trump to nominate retiring lawmaker as head of trade agency MORE's claim that it can make a Chinese-built hatchback model in the U.S. after it scrapped plans to sell it domestically because of the president's tariffs.

“It would not be profitable to build the Focus Active in the U.S. given an expected annual sales volume of fewer than 50,000 units and its competitive segment,” the company said in a statement, according to The New York Times.

In a tweet earlier Sunday, Trump cited an Aug. 31 announcement from the company that said it had canceled plans to sell the Focus Active in the U.S.

ADVERTISEMENT

"This is just the beginning. This car can now be BUILT IN THE U.S.A. and Ford will pay no tariffs!" Trump tweeted.

But Ford indicated in its statement that would not be the case.

The company announced late last month that Trump's decision to implement steep tariffs against China undermined the profitability of the new car, which the company had initially planned to ship into America for sale next year.

"Our viewpoint on Focus Active was that, given the tariffs, obviously our costs would be substantially higher," said Kumar Galhotra, president of Ford's North America division.

The U.S and China have been locked in an escalating trade dispute, with each nation levying significant tit-for-tat tariffs against one another. Trump pledged on Friday that he is prepared to slap $267 billion in tariffs on Chinese products, in addition to the $200 billion he has already promised.

The two countries have already exchanged tens of billions of dollars in tariffs on the other's imports, leading to growing concerns of a trade war between the world's two largest economies.

Despite opposition from lawmakers at home and abroad, Trump has insisted the tariffs are necessary to secure improved trade deals.

"The days of the U.S. being ripped-off by other nations is OVER!" Trump tweeted Sunday morning.