Ebola czar plans return to private sector

Ebola czar Ron Klain is reportedly returning to the private sector after wrapping up his duties this spring, despite speculation the former chief of staff to Vice President Biden was jockeying for a spot as a top presidential adviser.

Klain will return to his job leading technology investment firm Case Holdings by the beginning of March, according to a report in Fortune magazine

ADVERTISEMENT

Former AOL chief Steve Case, the founder of the eponymous investment firm, told the magazine Klain will also return to his post as general council of the venture capital firm Revolution LLC.

An administration official confirmed Monday that Klain intended to return to the private sector.

"Mr. Klain was appointed to this role as a ‘Special Government Employee,’ a position whose term is 130 days," the official said. "As he started in late October, his term expires in late February. Ron has always intended to return to his private sector job after finishing his term here."

Many had thought Klain could replace either White House chief of staff Denis McDonoughDenis Richard McDonough2020 Democrats fight to claim Obama's mantle on health care The Hill's Morning Report — Trump retreats on census citizenship question Democratic candidates should counter Trump's foreign policy MORE or White House counselor John Podesta, who is expected to depart shortly after the State of the Union address to assume a role in Hillary Clinton's likely presidential campaign.

Klain has earned public praise from the president and other senior officials for his handling of the Ebola scare, which has quickly disappeared from headlines. Currently, his efforts have focused on lobbying Congress for $6.2 billion in emergency funding to fight the virus.

Klain himself dismissed reports he'd remain in the West Wing during an interview with MSNBC last month.

“Once I’m finished, I’m going back to private life,” Klain said. “This is more than enough for me.”