Healthcare

Cruz: Feds ignoring sexual abuse claims from young immigrants

Getty Images

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is accusing the federal government of ignoring “literally thousands” of allegations from unaccompanied minors who crossed into the United States last year.

The newly declared presidential candidate sent a scathing letter to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) on Wednesday claiming that it has failed to prosecute cases, including some that may have involved sexual abuse within the agency.

{mosads}“Information exists that indicates the Department has been and is aware of these incidents but has chosen not to address them, or to not address them in any meaningful way,” Cruz wrote in the letter.

He said he has been “alerted to” several problems, though he did not specify where the claims originated.

Cruz asked HHS to preserve all related documents since 2009, such as incident reports or contractor agreements.

“These problems appear to be serious and ongoing, and require the immediate attention of both the Department and Congress,” he wrote.

Cruz has previously raised concerns that unaccompanied children were being sexually assaulted at the border, which he said is a “direct consequence of President Obama’s lawlessness,” according to a radio interview last year with The Right Scoop.

He said then that there are children “being handed over, not to well meaning social workers, but to hardened transnational global criminal cartels who are physically assaulting these kids, sexually assaulting these kids.”

Concerns of mistreatment have also been raised by human rights groups, many of whom have called for new protections for young migrants to no avail.

HHS is required by law to provide care for unaccompanied foreign minors. More than 60,000 minors crossed into the U.S. in 2013 alone. 

Tags Ted Cruz
See all Hill.TV See all Video

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video