Ad pushes Congress to revive ObamaCare payments that Trump canceled

A new ad is pushing Congress to continue the ObamaCare payments that President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump says he doesn't want NYT in the White House Veterans group backs lawsuits to halt Trump's use of military funding for border wall Schiff punches back after GOP censure resolution fails MORE canceled last week. 

The ad from the pro-ObamaCare group Save My Care will air in Washington, D.C. starting Tuesday morning. 

"Every day in America people struggle to pay their bills. Health care bills are always too high, and Donald Trump's latest sabotage will force them up even further — another 20 percent," says the ad's narrator. 

ADVERTISEMENT

"He canceled required health care funding, making our costs go up. But Congress can restore it," the narrator continues. 

The ad urges people to "call Congress" and ask them to restore the cost sharing reduction payments, which reimburse insurers for giving discounted deductibles and co-pays to low-income patients. 

The Senate Health Committee's top Republican and Democrat have been working behind closed doors on a bipartisan bill to fund the payments, but it's unclear if they can come to an agreement. 

The administration had been making the payments on a monthly basis. Now, insurers are still on the hook to offer the discounts, but won’t be getting reimbursed for it.

Before Trump’s announcement, insurance carriers had already signed contracts to sell insurance on healthcare.gov in the next enrollment season, which starts Nov. 1.

Some insurers may try to exit markets before open enrollment starts, potentially leaving some counties without any ObamaCare insurers next year. 

An analysis from the Congressional Budget Office released in August warned that canceling the payments could increase premiums for the most popular ObamaCare plan by 20 percent in 2018 and 25 percent by 2020.