SPONSORED:

HHS official to return to work after probe into inflammatory social media posts: report

HHS official to return to work after probe into inflammatory social media posts: report
© Getty

A top official with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), who was placed on leave last month after his history of inflammatory social media posts was revealed, will return to his job this week, according to a new report.

Politico reports Jon Cordova, the principal deputy assistant secretary for administration, will return to his position on Wednesday.

CNN reported last month that Cordova had previously shared stories on his social media accounts that included false claims about Gold Star father Khizr Khan, Sen. Ted CruzRafael (Ted) Edward CruzSenate GOP to drop documentary series days before election hitting China, Democrats over coronavirus Democrats play defense, GOP goes on attack after Biden oil comments Quinnipiac poll finds Biden, Trump tied in Texas MORE (R-Texas) and Hillary ClintonHillary Diane Rodham ClintonObama slams Trump in Miami: 'Florida Man wouldn't even do this stuff' Ballot initiatives in Colorado, Louisiana could restrict abortion access Trump mocks Joe Biden's drive-in rallies at North Carolina event MORE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Following the 2016 Democratic National Convention, Cordova shared a story that pushed the conspiracy theory that Khan, who spoke at the event, was a “Muslim plant working with the Hillary Clinton campaign.” 

He also frequently attacked Democratic officials, including former Presidents Obama and Bill ClintonWilliam (Bill) Jefferson ClintonThe Hill's Campaign Report: Trump, Biden face off for last time on the debate stage Trump expected to bring Hunter Biden's former business partner to debate Davis: On eve of tonight's debate — we've seen this moment in history before MORE. In a December 2016 Facebook comment, Cordova called Bill Clinton a “slimy trailer trash huckster,” CNN reported.

He has also promoted social media posts containing stories that falsely claim Cruz, who opposed Trump in the 2016 GOP presidential primary, was involved in a sex scandal and hid biographical information.

A spokesperson for HHS told Politico that Cordova has “expressed sincere and deep apology” for the posts.

“Mr. Cordova has expressed sincere and deep apology for those statements and for any harm or injury he may have caused to readers of any of his social media posts,” the spokesperson told Politico. “While he continues to work at HHS, Mr. Cordova – along with all department employees – will be expected to demonstrate a full commitment to inclusiveness and respect for all Americans that we serve.”

A spokesperson also said the posts were created before Cordova joined the agency and that the agency hasn’t received complaints about Cordova through “usual departmental channels.”

Four HHS staffers told the outlet that Cordova was seen at his desk and around the HHS offices.

After CNN reported on the posts, Cordova removed them from his Twitter page.

He joined HHS in February 2017, and in his role oversees day-to-day operations in the Office of Human Relations and other offices within HHS.

Multiple Trump administration officials have resigned in the last year following reporting on their past social media posts, including Carl Higbie and William C. Bradford.