Top Trump health official warned against controversial ObamaCare changes in private memo

Top Trump health official warned against controversial ObamaCare changes in private memo
© Getty Images

A top Trump administration health official warned against controversial changes that could undermine ObamaCare in a private memo last year that was released by House Democrats on Friday.

One of the three changes was later finalized by the administration, despite the warning from Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Administrator Seema Verma in the memo. And the other two have not yet been proposed but remain under consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT
House Democrats said Friday the fact that the administration approved an alteration that could undermine ObamaCare over the objections of one of its own top officials shows that the Trump administration is intent on “sabotage” of the Affordable Care Act.

The August 2018 private memo to Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar shows Verma was concerned with keeping ObamaCare markets stable and preventing disruption, but on at least one front was overruled by others in the administration.

The first change was a proposal to alter an index that is used to calculate how much money ObamaCare enrollees get in subsidies to help afford coverage, resulting in cuts.

Verma warned in the memo that the change would cause “coverage losses, further premium increases, and market disruption.”

But the administration went ahead with the change in early 2019 anyway. Administration estimates project that the move will save the government about $1 billion per year in lower subsidy payments, but will result in 70,000 people dropping coverage.

The second change Verma warned against was a proposal to ban “silver-loading,” a workaround that helped prevent premium increases after President TrumpDonald John TrumpNew Bob Woodward book will include details of 25 personal letters between Trump and Kim Jong Un On The Money: Pelosi, Mnuchin talk but make no progress on ending stalemate | Trump grabs 'third rail' of politics with payroll tax pause | Trump uses racist tropes to pitch fair housing repeal to 'suburban housewife' Biden commemorates anniversary of Charlottesville 'Unite the Right' rally: 'We are in a battle for the soul of our nation' MORE canceled key ObamaCare payments to insurers in 2017. Verma warned in the memo that ending the practice would cause “significant disruption” and “substantial premium increases.”

The administration has not moved to end the practice since then, but officials have said the idea is under consideration, causing alarm among Democrats about the potential damage to ObamaCare.

The third change Verma warned against was ending automatic reenrollment, whereby ObamaCare enrollees’ coverage is automatically renewed for the next year unless they actively choose to end it or switch plans.

Verma cited estimates showing the move would cause 200,000 people to lose coverage.

That change has also not happened yet, but remains under consideration.

Three House Democratic chairmen, Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Frank Pallone Jr.Frank Joseph PallonePharma execs say FDA will not lower standards for coronavirus vaccine Dem chairmen urge CMS to prevent nursing homes from seizing stimulus payments Federal watchdog finds cybersecurity vulnerabilities in FCC systems MORE (N.J.), Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard NealRichard Edmund NealAllegations roil progressive insurgent's House bid The Hill's Campaign Report: Biden picks Harris as running mate New Florida Biden ad accuses Trump of raiding Social Security for coronavirus relief MORE (Mass.) and Education and Labor Chairman Bobby ScottRobert (Bobby) Cortez ScottPelosi huddles with chairmen on surprise billing but deal elusive Overnight Health Care: White House blocks CDC director from testifying before House panel | Fauci urges action on masks | Administration document says counties in 'red zone' should close bars, gyms White House blocks CDC director from testifying before House panel on reopening schools MORE (Va.), wrote to Azar on Thursday demanding more documentation about HHS’s analysis of the possible changes, and calling on Azar not to go through with them.

“We call upon the Administration not to finalize these proposed policies, which the Administration itself admitted would cause chaos in the individual market," the chairmen wrote.

“I can confirm that we have received the letter,” an HHS spokesperson said Friday when asked for comment on the letter and Verma’s memo. “All congressional inquiries are taken seriously by the department and we will respond as appropriate in a timely fashion.”

A spokesperson for Verma referred questions on the memo to HHS.