A second person has died from a severe respiratory illness after vaping.
Oregon health officials said the individual, who died in July, had used a vaping device containing cannabis that was purchased from a dispensary before experiencing the illness.
The patient's symptoms were consistent with the more than 200 similar cases of respiratory illnesses that have been reported in other states, officials said.
"We don’t yet know the exact cause of these illnesses — whether they’re caused by contaminants, ingredients in the liquid or something else, such as the device itself," said Dr. Ann Thomas of the Oregon Health Authority.
The first death potentially linked to vaping was reported last month in Illinois.
As of last week, there are 215 possible cases of severe pulmonary disease associated with the use of e-cigarettes.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has not identified any specific substance of e-cigarette product that is linked to all cases, but many patients have reported using products that contain THC, the main compound in marijuana.
The CDC has warned people not to use products bought on the street, but questions remain about whether those purchased legally are safe to use.