A federal judge has reportedly extended a protection that temporarily blocks several lawsuits against drug company Purdue Pharma.
The Washington Post reported that the move by Robert Drain, a federal bankruptcy judge, on Wednesday was part of a compromise between the firm and several states.
The lawsuits against Purdue Pharma will be paused until April 8, according to the Post. A past stoppage had expired Wednesday.
Drain reportedly called the extension "extraordinary" but necessary to protect resources in the settlement.
Some parties in the suits objected to the extension, according to the Post.
The paper reported that Katherine Stadler, an attorney with a group of Tennessee district attorneys suing Richard Sackler, whose family founded Purdue Pharma, said that the case is outside the bankruptcy court's jurisdiction and should be excluded.
Greg Joseph, a lawyer who represents Sackler, told the Post that his client had been unfairly portrayed by the media and was not involved in the marketing of opioid OxyContin.
Attorneys general from 24 states and Washington, D.C., have reportedly attempted to block Purdue Pharma from avoiding thousands of lawsuits after it filed for bankruptcy.
The officials objected to the company's request to block the lawsuits.
Purdue Pharma attorney Marshall Huebner told the Post that “the goal is always to get to a deal whenever it is possible.”
The drug company has been blamed for fueling the opioid epidemic.