Los Angeles shuts down bars and clubs, limits restaurants to takeout and delivery
Los Angeles is following other major cities in the U.S. by shutting down bars, clubs and entertainment venues and implementing restrictions on restaurants as the country grapples with the spread of the coronavirus.
L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti announced Sunday night he was taking executive action that would temporarily close bars, clubs, entertainment venues and other establishments in the city starting at midnight. He added that restaurants would not be allowed to provide in-house dining but could continue serving takeout and deliveries.
The measures would last through March 31, he said, “unless they are rescinded sooner, or extended further.”
“This will be a tough time, but it is not forever. Angelenos have always risen to meet difficult moments, and we will get through this together,” Garcetti said in his announcement.
The decision came after California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) announced that bars, pubs and wineries in the state would be expected to close.
The move also came soon after New York City and Seattle made similar announcements.
Earlier on Sunday, Ohio and Illinois announced they were closing all bars and restaurants, apart from takeout and delivery.