Public/Global Health

First New Hampshire resident under 18 dies of COVID-19-related complications

New Hampshire health officials have confirmed the state’s first resident under the age of 18 has died from complications related to COVID-19. 

The state’s Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) said on Monday the individual died in September in another state and was identified after COVID-19 was listed as the cause of death on his death certificate. 

The child’s name and age were not released to the public, with the department saying the child was under the age of 18 and was ineligible to be vaccinated due to his age, according to the DHHS statement.

“We are all saddened by this loss and give our condolences to the family,” state epidemiologist Benjamin Chan said in a statement. “It continues to be important for us all to take steps to protect those who are not yet able to be vaccinated, and those who are vulnerable and at risk for severe COVID-19.”

This comes as 43 U.S. states have reported cases of the omicron COVID-19 variant, with the country facing another winter surge of virus cases. 

Children between the ages of 5 and 11 were ineligible to get vaccinated until last month, but children between the ages of 12 and 15 were approved in May, the Union Leader reported

According to the statement, between 25 and 30 percent of new COVID-19 infections have involved residents under the age of 18.

Tags #coronavirus COVID-19 Department of Health and Human Services New Hampshire

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video