NBA commissioner says ‘no plans’ to halt season amid COVID-19 surge
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said this week that the league has no plans to pause its season, despite a surge in COVID-19 cases among players on several teams.
“We have, of course, looked at all the options, but frankly we are having trouble coming up with what the logic would be behind pausing right now,” Silver told ESPN.
“As we look through these cases literally ripping through the country … I think we’re finding ourselves where we knew we were going to get to over the past several months, and that is this virus will not be eradicated, and we’re going to have to learn to live with it.”
Within the last week, seven NBA games have been postponed, with at least 20 teams and 84 players entering the league’s health and safety protocols, Reuters noted.
Ten NBA teams set to play on Christmas have reportedly been notified that their games could be delayed due to COVID-19. Decisions on when those games will start could be made as late as Friday, according to Reuters.
Last week, the NBA took steps to tighten its COVID-19 protocols, requiring players and staff to wear masks during team activities, with the exception of on-court basketball activities.
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.