International

Report: North Korea threatens nuclear strike on White House

A senior North Korean military official on Sunday threatened to launch a nuclear strike on the White House and Pentagon, according to Agence France-Presse.

“If the US imperialists threaten our sovereignty and survival … our troops will fire our nuclear-armed rockets at the White House and the Pentagon — the sources of all evil,” Hwang Pyong-So said in a speech in Pyongyang during a military rally. 

Hwang is director of the military’s General Political Bureau.

{mosads}He said North Korea had been provoked by a series of recent military exercises conducted by the United States and South Korea.

North Korea has so far conducted three nuclear tests, Agence France-Presse notes, but doesn’t seem to have the capability to mount a warhead on a missile.

North Korea’s short and mid-range missiles, though, are reportedly capable of striking Japan and South Korea.

North Korea conducted its last nuclear test on Saturday, in which it simulated a short-range missile strike on South Korea. Agence France-Presse said 28,500 U.S. troops are stationed in South Korea.

The threat comes about a month after North Korea deemed a forthcoming U.S. comedy “an act of war.” 

In the “The Interview,” Seth Rogen and James Franco star as journalists who nail an interview with North Korea leader Kim Jong Un. When the CIA finds out about the interview, they recruit the two in an attempt to assassinate him. The film is scheduled to hit theaters in October.

Tags Kim Jong Un North Korea Pentagon White House

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

See all Hill.TV See all Video

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video