Multiple Americans were killed and injured in a Taliban attack on a hotel in Kabul, Afghanistan, this weekend, The Associated Press reported Tuesday.
“We offer our deepest condolences to the families and friends of those who were killed and wish for the speedy recovery of those wounded. Out of respect for the families of the deceased, we have no further comment,” the State Department said in a statement.
Twenty-two people were killed in the attack on Saturday at the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul. Of those, 14 were foreigners; 11 of them had previously been identified.
The attack began when six Taliban militants stormed the hotel in suicide vests. More than 150 people managed to escape the hotel.
Afghanistan officials have said an investigation is underway to find out how the attackers got into the building so easily, The Associated Press reported.
The attack came as President TrumpDonald TrumpOvernight Defense & National Security — The Pentagon's deadly mistake Overnight Energy & Environment — Presented by Climate Power — Interior returns BLM HQ to Washington France pulls ambassadors to US, Australia in protest of submarine deal MORE is reportedly considering sending an additional 1,000 troops to Afghanistan. The number of troops in Afghanistan has already risen from 8,500 to 14,000 since Trump took office.