No Iranian provocations in Gulf in months: Central Command

No Iranian provocations in Gulf in months: Central Command
© Getty

U.S. Naval Forces Central Command said Thursday there have been no provocations from Iranian forces in the Persian Gulf in several months.

Navy Cmdr. William Urban told The Associated Press that there have been no “unsafe and unprofessional” gestures from the Iranian navy in the region since August 

ADVERTISEMENT

“It seems like they’ve absolutely made a conscious decision to give us more space,” Urban told the news service. “That is definitely a change in their behavior.”

The Navy said 14 “unsafe and/or unprofessional” encounters between the two forces took place in the eight months in 2017 leading up to August. 

The last negative encounter between Iranian and U.S. naval forces took place that month, when the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier was followed at night by an unarmed Iranian drone. The aircraft moved close enough to U.S. F/A-18 fighter jets to put the pilot's lives in danger, officials said.

Tensions between the U.S. and Iran have increased under the Trump administration. 

President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump: Dems playing destructive 'con game' with Kavanaugh Several Yale Law classmates who backed Kavanaugh call for misconduct investigation Freedom Caucus calls on Rosenstein to testify or resign MORE has repeatedly blasted the Obama-era Iranian nuclear deal as "the worst deal ever negotiated," and moved last year to decertify Iran's compliance. 

The Trump administration also sided with anti-government protests in Iran late last year and early this year and pledged to support them. 

 

 

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki HaleyNimrata (Nikki) HaleyTrump should hit Iran on human rights at the UN The Hill's Morning Report — Trump backs Kavanaugh, puts Rosenstein in limbo UN condemns Iran military parade attack MORE also accused Tehran last year of supplying arms to Yemeni rebels in defiance of U.N. Security Council resolutions.