Ex-Trump security aide: Trump has nothing to lose in talks with North Korea

Ex-Trump security aide: Trump has nothing to lose in talks with North Korea
© Getty Images

President TrumpDonald TrumpHarris stumps for McAuliffe in Virginia On The Money — Sussing out what Sinema wants Hillicon Valley — Presented by Xerox — The Facebook Oversight Board is not pleased MORE’s former homeland security adviser Tom Bossert on Sunday praised the president for his approach to discussions with North Korea.

Bossert said on ABC's "This Week" that while each of the past three presidents has attempted to negotiate with North Korea, Trump's efforts to directly engage with Kim Jong Un could prove to be the successful strategy.

“I think all the criticism of the president means [we] lose focus on the ends we’re trying to achieve,” Bossert said.

ADVERTISEMENT

He suggested that criticism over Trump providing the North Korean government with a photo op and legitimacy is misplaced, noting that the focus should shift to denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula.

“I don’t believe this is a situation where president has anything to lose,” Bossert said. "I think he’s doing the right thing."

Trump is set to meet with Kim in Singapore on June 12, as was planned initially in early May.

Trump scrapped plans to meet with Kim late last month because of “open hostility” from the North Korean leader, though he reversed course last week. 

The reversal came after top North Korean official Kim Yong Chol visited the White House to hand-deliver a letter from Kim to the president, which Trump called "a very nice letter," before having read the note.

U.S. officials have said North Korea must fully abandon its nuclear program, though Trump contends the upcoming meeting will serve as “a beginning.” 

Ahead of the summit, North Korea said it destroyed its nuclear testing site. While foreign media was invited to observe the detonation of the underground facility, nuclear inspectors were not allowed to attend, making it difficult to confirm whether the facility has been shut down completely.

Bossert said such actions only serve to undermine trust ahead of the meeting between Trump and Kim. 

“These demonstrations of blowing up tunnels, whether they’re complete or just facades just for show, it’s really not helping matters,” he said Sunday.

“Even if they believe that to be a helpful gesture, it does make later confirmation of our inspectors and what was in those tunnels and all that much more difficult,” he added.

Bossert resigned from his White House role in April, shortly after John Bolton took over as Trump's national security adviser.