The State Department confirmed Thursday that another U.S. diplomat in Cuba experienced health symptoms that have affected a number of other envoys there.
State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement that the latest diplomat to be affected was one of two individuals removed from the U.S. Embassy in Havana due to health concerns after a May incident.
U.S. officials confirmed last week that the other individual who was removed from the embassy was also afflicted by the mysterious health issue.
Nauert did not provide information on the workers' status or symptoms.
"We informed the Cuban Government of this attack on May 29," Nauert said Thursday. "The Cuban Government assured us that it will continue its investigation."
There have now been 26 confirmed instances of people being affected by what officials are calling "specific attacks" on U.S. workers in Cuba.
U.S. personnel in Havana began reporting the incidents in 2016, though they were first disclosed publicly last year. American investigators have not yet determined who or what is causing the symptoms and illnesses.
Those affected by the incidents have reported a range of symptoms, including nausea, vomiting and difficulty balancing, as well as concussions. Several also reported hearing strange sounds before experiencing symptoms, prompting speculation that some type of sonic device was involved.
Cuba has said it is unaware of what is causing the workers' symptoms.