Putin: US has ‘certain responsibility’ for missing Saudi journalist

Putin: US has ‘certain responsibility’ for missing Saudi journalist
© Getty Images

Russian President Vladimir Putin said Thursday that the United States has a certain level of responsibility for the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi. 

“As far as I know the journalist who went missing used to live in the U.S.A. He did not live in Russia," Putin said in his first public comments regarding the matter, according to The Financial Times.

ADVERTISEMENT

"In this regard the US has a certain responsibility ... what else can I say here? If someone knows what happens and there was a murder, I hope some evidence is provided."

Putin added that Moscow's response to Riyadh would depend on what evidence is provided regarding Khashoggi's disappearance. 

He also wondered why Russia was leveled with international sanctions after its alleged use of chemical weapons, but that Saudi Arabia hasn't faced similar consequences. 

“From time to time, there are certain steps taken, even sanctions, for imaginary reasons without any proof regarding our alleged use of chemical weapons,” he said, according to FT. “They are saying a murder took place in Istanbul but no such steps have been taken. ... We have to set some certain procedures, equal approaches to those kind of events.”

His comments come as Saudi Arabia faces growing scrutiny surrounding the disappearance of Khashoggi, who was last seen on Oct. 2 after entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul to collect marriage-related papers. 

Turkish officials have accused Saudi operatives of killing him and dismembering his body after he entered the consulate.

A high-level Turkish official told The Associated Press this week that the Turkish police have "certain evidence" that the journalist, who was a U.S. resident and outspoken critic of the Saudi government, was killed.

President TrumpDonald John TrumpBill Kristol resurfaces video of Pence calling Obama executive action on immigration a 'profound mistake' ACLU says planned national emergency declaration is 'clear abuse of presidential power' O'Rourke says he'd 'absolutely' take down border wall near El Paso if he could MORE said earlier this week that the U.S. has requested audio and video recordings from Turkey related to Khashoggi's disappearance. 

Saudi Arabia has continued to deny involvement, and Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoOvernight Defense: Trump to sign funding deal, declare national emergency | Shanahan says allies will be consulted on Afghanistan | Dem demands Khashoggi documents Senate confirms Trump pick William Barr as new attorney general Top Dem demands State Department documents on Khashoggi killing MORE said Wednesday that the U.S. would allow the country to conduct its own investigation into the matter.