Trump says he'll be guest of honor at Japan's 'biggest event' in 'over 200 years'
China accuses US of trying to block development after Pence Huawei comments
China's government accused the Trump administration of "fabricat[ing]" reasons to stifle the country's economic growth on Monday after Vice President Pence called a top Chinese technology company a security threat to the U.S.
ABC News reports that a spokesman for China's foreign ministry took aim at Pence after the vice president warned European countries in Brussels to "reject any enterprise that would compromise the integrity of our communications technology or our national security systems," referring to Chinese tech giant Huawei.
The U.S. is attempting to "fabricate an excuse for suppressing the legitimate development," foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang responded, according to ABC News.
"China has not and will not require companies or individuals to collect or provide foreign countries' information for the Chinese government by installing backdoors or other actions that violate local laws," Geng added, according to ABC.
The Trump administration began urging U.S. allies to cease using Huawei last fall, and the Justice Department is investigating the firm for allegedly stealing trade secrets.
China called the allegations against Huawei "groundless fabrications" last month as the Trump administration and Chinese officials attempt to negotiate an end to the ongoing trade dispute between the two countries.
"We urge relevant parties to cease the groundless fabrications and unreasonable restrictions toward Huawei and other Chinese companies, and create a fair, good and just environment for mutual investment and normal cooperation by both sides' companies," spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in January.
"Using security reasons to hype, obstruct or restrict normal cooperation between companies in the end will only hurt one's own interests," Hua added at the time.