63 killed in blast at Afghan wedding as Taliban, US negotiate troop withdrawal

63 killed in blast at Afghan wedding as Taliban, US negotiate troop withdrawal
© Getty Images

A suicide bombing in Afghanistan's capital, Kabul, on Sunday left at least 63 people dead and more than 180 injured, according to reports.

The Islamic State issued a statement shortly after the attack claiming responsibility, according to The Washington Post.

A spokesman for the Taliban, meanwhile, shared a tweet stating that there was no link between the group and the bombing. 

ADVERTISEMENT

“The attack on the wedding hall is a brutal act,” the spokesperson said. “The Islamic Emirate condemns it in the strongest terms. We share the sorrow of the people.”

But Afghanistan president Ashraf Ghani said on Twitter that the "Taliban cannot absolve themselves of blame for they provide platform for terrorists."

Afghanistan Interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said that casualties included women and children, Reuters noted. The news service added that images showed a wedding hall with bodies strewn over tables and chairs on a carpet stained with blood. 

According to reports, about 1,000 wedding guests at the Dubai city wedding hall at the time of the suicide bombing. 

The attack came as the Trump administration and the Taliban negotiate a possible agreement that would include a U.S. troop withdrawal from the region. 

President TrumpDonald John TrumpGOP divided over impeachment trial strategy Official testifies that Bolton had 'one-on-one meeting' with Trump over Ukraine aid Louisiana governor wins re-election MORE last week met with his national security team to discuss a pending peace agreement with the Taliban. 

"In continued close cooperation with the government of Afghanistan, we remain committed to achieving a comprehensive peace agreement, including a reduction in violence and a ceasefire, ensuring that Afghan soil is never again used to threaten the United States or her allies and bringing Afghans together to work towards peace," Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoFive takeaways from ex-ambassador's dramatic testimony Pompeo: No US response ruled out in Hong Kong Ousted ambassador describes State Department in 'crisis' in dramatic impeachment testimony MORE said in a statement at the time.