SPONSORED:

State Dept. extends travel ban to North Korea

State Dept. extends travel ban to North Korea
© Getty

The Trump administration is extending a travel ban for Americans traveling to North Korea through next year, according to a State Department memo released Monday.

The ban, originally instituted in June 2017, will remain in place until Aug. 31, 2020, unless revoked earlier by Secretary of State Mike PompeoMike PompeoHouse passes legislation to elevate cybersecurity at the State Department The Hill's 12:30 Report - Presented by Facebook - All US adults now eligible for COVID vaccines Parade of 2024 GOP hopefuls court House conservatives MORE, according to The Associated Press.

ADVERTISEMENT

It was imposed by then-Secretary of State Rex TillersonRex Wayne TillersonHouse passes legislation to elevate cybersecurity at the State Department Biden's is not a leaky ship of state — not yet With salami-slicing and swarming tactics, China's aggression continues MORE after the death of U.S. student Otto Warmbier, who was detained in North Korea. The ban was renewed once already, in 2018. 

U.S. citizens interested in going to North Korea for humanitarian- or journalism-related purposes will be able to apply for exceptions through the State Department. 

The travel ban extension comes amid a stall in nuclear negotiations between the U.S. and North Korea.

President TrumpDonald TrumpSt. Louis lawyer who pointed gun at Black Lives Matter protesters considering Senate run Chauvin found guilty as nation exhales US says Iran negotiations are 'positive' MORE has said he will meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong UnKim Jong UnExclusive: GOP senators seek FBI investigation into Biden Pentagon nominee On North Korea, Biden should borrow from Trump's Singapore declaration North Korea drops out of Tokyo Olympics MORE to discuss denuclearization later this year. The two leaders have met multiple times already on the issue but have been unable to reach an agreement.

Kim has overseen several weapon test launches in the last month despite warnings from South Korea.