US accuses Russia, China of blocking UN Security Council's statement on embassy attack

US accuses Russia, China of blocking UN Security Council's statement on embassy attack
© Getty Images

The Trump administration on Monday said that Russian and Chinese officials had moved to block a resolution in front of the United Nations Security Council that would have reaffirmed the U.N.'s stance that embassies of nations around the world should not be targeted for violence.

Reuters reported that U.S. officials blamed the two U.S. adversaries for blocking a resolution “underscoring the inviolability of diplomatic and consular premises,” a statement that would have come in response to protests in Iraq targeting the U.S. Embassy following the death of Qassem Soleimani, a top Iranian official, in a U.S. airstrike in Baghdad.

The U.S. was reportedly joined by 27 other nations to denounce a past attempt by protesters to storm the embassy, which U.S. officials told Reuters came “in stark contrast to the United Nations Security Council’s silence due to two permanent members — Russia and China — not allowing a statement to proceed.”

The U.S. and Iran have been at the edge of military conflict for days following the Trump-ordered strike that led to Soleimani's death outside Baghdad's main airport, with top Iranian officials vowing retaliation and some U.S. lawmakers warning the Trump administration against pushing the U.S. into war with Iran.

Thousands of U.S. troops have been ordered on standby while the embassy itself was reinforced by U.S. military personnel following the attempt by protesters to take it over last month.