Ukraine and Canada are demanding accountability for Iran after it admitted to shooting down a Ukrainian jet shortly after it took off from Tehran this week, killing all 176 people on board.
After first blaming the crash on technical issues, Iran said early Saturday that it shot down the plane headed for Kyiv because of a "human error." Among the victims of the crash were 11 Ukrainians and 57 Canadians.
“Ukraine insists on a full admission of guilt,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky tweeted Saturday. “We expect Iran to bring those responsible to justice, return the bodies, pay compensation and issue an official apology. The investigation must be full, open & continue without delays or obstacles.”
This morning brings the truth.— Володимир Зеленський (@ZelenskyyUa) January 11, 2020
Ukraine insists on a full admission of guilt. We expect Iran to bring those responsible to justice, return the bodies, pay compensation and issue an official apology. The investigation must be full, open & continue without delays or obstacles.
“The Prime Minister and the President agreed on the need for a full, credible, and complete investigation of the crash and discussed Canada’s continued support for the investigation. Both leaders highlighted the need for cooperation to build a complete picture of the event, so that all those who suffered losses can get the answers they deserve,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin TrudeauJustin Pierre James TrudeauCanada's Trudeau apologizes for vacation on first Truth and Reconciliation Day Unvaccinated Canadian government workers to be placed on unpaid leave Canada marks first 'National Day of Truth and Reconciliation' MORE’s office said in a readout of a call with Zelensky.
Reports first emerged Thursday that officials believed the Boeing 737-800, which belonged to Ukraine International Airlines, "was shot down by an Iranian surface to air missile" early Wednesday morning, though for days Tehran denied any role before changing its story.
“Preliminary conclusions of internal investigation by Armed Forces: Human error at time of crisis caused by US adventurism led to disaster,” Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted. “Our profound regrets, apologies and condolences to our people, to the families of all victims, and to other affected nations.”
A sad day. Preliminary conclusions of internal investigation by Armed Forces:— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) January 11, 2020
Human error at time of crisis caused by US adventurism led to disaster
Our profound regrets, apologies and condolences to our people, to the families of all victims, and to other affected nations.
Shortly before the crash, Iran had launched ballistic missiles at two Iraqi military bases housing U.S. troops in response to last week’s killing of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani in an American drone strike in Baghdad.
Tensions between the two sides had reached a boiling point in recent weeks, but President TrumpDonald TrumpHillicon Valley — Presented by Xerox — Twitter's algorithm boosts right-leaning content, internal study finds Ohio Democrat calls Vance an 'ass----' over Baldwin tweet Matt Taibbi says Trump's rhetoric caused public perception of US intelligence services to shift MORE on Wednesday appeared to signal that there would be no immediate further military action after the Iranian attacks on Iraqi bases saw no casualties.