Coronavirus cases in Italy hit 447
Italy has 447 confirmed cases of coronavirus as of Wednesday, according to The Associated Press.
Earlier the same day, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced the number of cases had reached 400, marking a 25 percent uptick in just 24 hours. The 47 additional cases were announced later in the evening.
Seven other European nations confirmed new cases of the virus overnight, including 80 new cases in Italy alone as of Wednesday morning, with a concentration in the northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto. The outbreak has killed 12 people in the country so far.
“The sudden increases in cases in Italy, the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Republic of Korea are deeply concerning,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday.
A number of elected officials have self-quarantined to send a message to the public to limit travel in an effort to contain the disease.
Soccer games have also been canceled in Italy, and at least six universities announced Wednesday that they would cancel their study abroad programs there.
“In response, the Italian government has been taking swift action to try to prevent its spread,” a New York University spokesperson said in a statement Wednesday. “While we do not believe there is a pressing health threat to the NYU Florence community, the past month has taught us that countries may swiftly and unexpectedly make decisions that can significantly affect one’s ability to travel.”
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.