British officials said Saturday that Prime Minister Boris JohnsonBoris JohnsonUK's Johnson dismisses calls to resign over lockdown party Measures to stem spread of omicron in UK dropped The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Schumer tees up doomed election reform vote MORE "continues to make very good progress" battling his coronavirus infection after being transferred out of intensive care earlier this week.
The prime minister was diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 27 and was admitted to St. Thomas Hospital last weekend after his symptoms worsened.
Showing promising signs of recovery, the 55-year-old leader has been taking "short walks" between intermittent periods of rest, his office said. Johnson also thanked his doctors and caretakers "for the incredible care he has received," The Associated Press reported.
Earlier this week, Johnson reported "persistent" symptoms of the virus including coughing and a fever. He was transferred to an intensive care unit Tuesday where he received oxygen but did not require a ventilator.
He spent three nights in the ICU before moving back to a regular ward on Thursday evening.
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has temporarily taken over Johnson's responsibilities, with aides to the prime minister saying he could be out of commission for at least a month.
Johnson's father, Stanley Johnson, said his son should take time to get better, according to the BBC.
"He must rest up. I don't think you can say this is out of the woods now," his father said.
In England, the death toll for the coronavirus increased by 823 in the last 24 hours, raising the country's total fatalities to 8,937, health officials said Saturday, Reuters reported.