Prince Philip transferred to new hospital to treat infection

Prince Philip transferred to new hospital to treat infection
© Getty Images

Buckingham Palace said on Monday that Prince Philip, 99, has been transferred to St. Bartholomew’s hospital as he continues to receive treatment for an infection and preexisting heart condition.

“The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s hospital to St Bartholomew’s hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition," Buckingham Palace said in a statement to the Guardian.

“The duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week," the palace added.

ADVERTISEMENT

The prince, husband to Queen Elizabeth II, was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital on Feb. 16 as a "precautionary measure" after he reported "feeling unwell." At the time, the prince was "expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest."

The infection is not believed to be related to COVID-19.

Reports came out last week that Prince Philip was "responding to treatment," with his youngest son Prince Edward telling media that his father felt "a lot better."

Both Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth received their first doses of the coronavirus vaccine in January while at Windsor Castle.

During a discussion with health officials last week, the queen encouraged other to get the vaccine.

“Well, once you’ve had the vaccine you have a feeling of, you know, you’re protected, which is, I think, very important,” she said. “And as far as I can make out it was quite harmless, very quick. And I’ve had lots of letters from people who’ve been very surprised by how easy it was to get the vaccine.”