SPONSORED:

Prince Philip undergoes 'successful' heart procedure, Buckingham Palace says

Prince Philip undergoes 'successful' heart procedure, Buckingham Palace says
© Getty Images

Prince Philip, 99, had a “successful heart procedure” this week as he remains hospitalized in London, Buckingham Palace announced Thursday, according to reports.

“The Duke of Edinburgh yesterday underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s hospital,” Buckingham Palace confirmed.

“His Royal Highness will remain in the hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days,” royal officials continued.

ADVERTISEMENT

Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth, has been hospitalized for more than two weeks. He was first admitted to King Edward VII’s Hospital last month as a “precautionary measure” before being transferred to St. Bartholomew’s, which specializes in cardiac care.

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Philip’s daughter-in-law, said Wednesday that he is “slightly improving” and that the royal family will “keep our fingers crossed,” The Associated Press reported.

Buckingham Palace said Monday that Philip was expected to remain in the hospital “until at least the end of the week.”

Philip’s hospitalization is not believed to be related to COVID-19. Both he and the queen received their first doses of the coronavirus vaccine in January at Windsor Castle.

His illness comes ahead of a highly anticipated interview with Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, and her husband, Prince Harry, by Oprah WinfreyOprah Gail WinfreyHarry and Meghan say Prince Philip 'will be greatly missed' Meghan, Prince Harry detail first Netflix docuseries: 'Heart of Invictus' Poll: Majority want to see McConaughey, Dwayne Johnson run for office MORE as the relationship between the couple and the royal family has been reportedly strained since they decided to step away from their roles as working members of the royal family.