Iran says damage was limited in sabotage attack at nuclear site

Iran says damage was limited in sabotage attack at nuclear site
© Getty

Iran said on Tuesday the damage was limited in a sabotage attack at a nuclear site last month.

"We have had no damage to equipment. There was small damage to a roof and the [satellite] pictures were taken when the roof was removed for repairs," government spokesman Ali Rabiei told state media, Reuters reported.

Rabiei went on to blame Israel for the attack, which it has neither confirmed nor denied.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The Zionist regime has carried out these actions ... to halt Iran and say that the world does not need to talk to Iran," he said.

Israel has been vocal in its opposition to the U.S. and other countries engaging in talks with Iran to renegotiate the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.

Rabiei said the attack was an attempt to harm the conversations between the countries. 

The attack was carried out on the Iranian Atomic Energy Organization building on June 23. 

Iran said at the time the attack “left no casualties or damages and was unable to disrupt the Iranian nuclear program.”

Iran has accused Israel of similar attacks on nuclear facilities in the past.