Three arrested under terrorism act after deadly taxi explosion in England

Three men were arrested in England on Sunday under the Terrorism Act in connection to a taxi explosion that occurred outside a hospital in Liverpool earlier in the day, which killed one person and injured another.

The Greater Manchester Police announced on Twitter that three men, ages 29, 26 and 21, were arrested in the Kensington area of Liverpool as authorities investigate the deadly taxi explosion from earlier that day.

Their identities have not yet been revealed. The incident occurred outside the Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

One of the victims died in the incident, and the other was taken to the hospital and is being treated for non-life-threatening injuries, according to a statement from the Merseyside Police.

The identities of the victims were not immediately revealed.

Counter Terrorism Police, which, according to The New York Times, is part of the national police force, are leading the investigation, which will be supported by the Merseyside Police, authorities also announced in the statement.

Authorities have not yet revealed what the cause of the explosion was. The Merseyside Police said an incident occurred at around 11 a.m. local time on Sunday, adding that “the car involved was a taxi which pulled up at the hospital shortly before the explosion occurred.”

“We are keeping an open mind as to what caused the explosion,” the police force said.

Chief Constable Serena Kennedy of the Merseyside Police, while speaking to reporters on Sunday, said “Work is still ongoing to establish what has happened and could take some time before we’re in a position to confirm anything,” according to the Times.

She also said authorities are “keeping an open mind” as they examine the incident.

Phil Garrigan, the chief fire officer of the Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service, told reporters on Sunday that the victim who was injured “had left the vehicle prior to the fire developing to the extent that it did,” according to the Times.

He also said the fire that ignited as a result of the explosion was quickly put out.

Authorities also said access to the hospital would be limited “until further notice,” adding that some patients were sent to other facilities, according to the Times. Ambulances, however, were reportedly permitted to access the hospital in instances of an emergency, and hospital personnel were brought in and out of the facility with authorities.

Liverpool Mayor Joanne Anderson in a tweet on Sunday said the incident was “unsettling and upsetting,” while thanking emergency responders “for their swift response and for bringing calm to the situation.”


The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more


See all Video