Haitian gang releases two of the 17 hostages taken last month
Two of the 17 Christian missionaries that were kidnapped in Haiti last month have reportedly been released.
Christian Aid Ministries, the missionaries’ group, published an announcement on Sunday confirming their release.
“Only limited information can be provided, but we are able to report that the two hostages who were released are safe, in good spirits, and being cared for,” the statement said.
The group added that it could not provide the hostages’ names, location or reasons for release and asked those aware of additional details to “safeguard that information.”
The release comes more than 30 days after the workers were kidnapped in Haiti. Christian Aid Ministries has continually asked for prayers for the hostages.
“While we rejoice at this release, our hearts are with the fifteen people who are still being held,” their statement added on Sunday.
Earlier this month, a senior Biden administration official said the 400 Mawozo gang, which kidnapped 16 Americans and one Canadian, had provided proof that the missionaries were still alive.
The group had previously demanded $1 million per person for the release of each missionary and even threatened to kill the Americans if their demands were not met.
“I swear that if I don’t get what I want, I prefer to kill the Americans. I’ll put a bullet in each of their heads,” Wilson Joseph, the reported head of the 400 Mawozo gang, said last month.
Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.