US ready to hit Sudan’s military leaders with more sanctions if violence doesn’t end, official says
A senior diplomat said the United States is prepared to place more sanctions on Sudan’s military leadership if violence against protesters continues, Reuters reported.
Speaking at a Senate Foreign Relations Committee meeting on Tuesday, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Molly Phee said officials are reviewing a full range of traditional and nontraditional tools in an effort to reduce available funds for Sudan’s military and isolate military-controlled companies.
Phee said the U.S. is also looking at tools to increase the “reputational risk” of those who continue to engage in business deals with Sudanese officials, according to Reuters.
She added that officials have discussed using both existing authorities and developing new ones to increase pressure on private interests affiliated with Sudanese security forces.
“We’re looking very hard right now at nontraditional methods of pressure, particularly in terms of, for example, the illicit gold mining that takes place, and we’re also looking at the many enterprises that are owned by security forces,” Phee said, per Reuters.
According to Sudanese health officials, the military’s crackdown on protests has led to the deaths of 79 civilians and injuries to more than 2,000 others.
“I have made clear publicly and privately that violence against peaceful protesters perpetrated by security services since Oct. 25 must end,” Phee said.
Sudan is still reeling from a coup in October against the transitional government headed by former Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, who was briefly restored to power before resigning last month.