Americas

Venezuela’s Maduro announces plan to ration electricity amid blackouts

Getty Images

Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro on Sunday announced a 30-day electricity rationing plan for the nation, according to The Associated Press.

In an address on national television Sunday, Maduro said the rationing plan would address the nation’s intermittent power outages, which have also affected the water supply and communications, according to the wire service.

{mosads}Opposition leader Juan Guaidó, whom the United States has recognized as president, has called on Venezuelans to demonstrate in response to the outages, which he blamed on government neglect while Maduro has attributed them to deliberate sabotage by the U.S.

“No one can put up with this. We spend almost all day without electricity,” Karina Camacho, a 56-year-old housewife, told the news service. “There’s been no water since [last] Monday, you can’t call by phone, we can’t pay with cards or even eat.” The blackouts have prevented Venezuelans from making electronic payments in several cases.

Maduro has warned against further demonstrations in response to the blackouts, according to the AP. Numerous demonstrations, many of which have taken place near the presidential palace in Caracas, have been broken up by armed supporters of the government. Last week political tensions deepened as Russia confirmed the presence of its troops and military officials in the embattled nation and dismissed calls from the U.S. to withdraw.

Tags

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

See all Hill.TV See all Video

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video