Coast Guard suspends search for 10 Cuban migrants whose boat capsized

Coast Guard suspends search for 10 Cuban migrants whose boat capsized
© Getty Images

The Coast Guard said it has suspended its search for ten missing Cuban migrants whose boat capsized off Florida's coast.

The Coast Guard said in a statement on Sunday that its Cutter Resolute crew had found multiple people in the sea on Thursday and alerted the Sector Key West watchstanders. 

Eight survivors said they had been traveling from Puerto de Mariel, Cuba, when their boat sank sometime on Wednesday, according to the Coast Guard. Two people were recovered deceased and the survivors said there were 10 people still missing.

With assistance from other search agencies, the Coast Guard searched for more than 123 hours before ending its search early Sunday morning, officials said. 

"The Coast Guard, partner Department of Defense and local agency crews searched continuously the past three days to locate the missing 10 people," Commander of Sector Key West Capt. Adam Chamie said in the statement. "The decision to suspend a search is always difficult and is made after careful consideration of all the facts. Our deepest condolences go out to the families and loved ones impacted by this tragedy."