Americas

Montreal limiting gatherings in homes to six people

Getty Images

Montreal will limit gatherings in homes to six people, or two-family bubbles, starting the day after Christmas to try to stem the rising number of coronavirus cases.

Restaurants in the largest city in Quebec are already at half capacity and are required to close at 10 p.m., The Associated Press reported. Starting on Dec. 26, they will also be required to limit tables to six people or two families. 

Quebec Premier Francois Legault said that the “exponential” spike in coronavirus cases the area has experienced in recent weeks is continuing and that Quebec reported nearly 9,000 new cases Wednesday, according to the AP. 

“Until Saturday, we’re letting people who absolutely want to gather, but I invite all Quebecers who can put off their gatherings to do so,” Legault said at a Wednesday press conference, according to local Toronto outlet CP24

Montreal could see 100 new hospitalizations per day due to the area’s surge in cases and the highly transmissible omicron variant, the Montreal Gazette reported.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced this week that the government will send tens of millions of rapid tests to Canadian provinces in the upcoming weeks as part of an effort to help workers and businesses impacted by the new restrictions, according to the Gazette.

The news comes after Montreal earlier this week warned that further restrictions could be imminent as they announced the closures of bars, gyms and schools, the AP reported. 

Tags Canada COVID-19 cases Justin Trudeau Montreal Omicron variant

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video