US analysts: North Korea rocket site's operations have been restored

US analysts: North Korea rocket site's operations have been restored
© Getty

North Korea appears to have resumed normal operations at a long-range rocket launch site previously shut down for disarmament purposes, according to analysts. 

"North Korea has continued the rebuilding of key components of the launch pad and the vertical engine test stand at the Sohae Launch Facility, returning it to normal operating status," according to the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), an American foreign policy think tank. 

The rebuilding amounts to a "snapback" after denuclearization talks between President TrumpDonald John TrumpFacebook releases audit on conservative bias claims Harry Reid: 'Decriminalizing border crossings is not something that should be at the top of the list' Recessions happen when presidents overlook key problems MORE and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ended last week, the CSIS reported on Thursday. 

ADVERTISEMENT

North Korea analysis website 38 North had similar findings and said satellite images of the launch site show that "construction to rebuild the launch pad and engine test stand that began before the Hanoi Summit has continued at a rapid pace." 

"Given that construction plus activity at other areas of the site, Sohae appears to have returned to normal operational status," the 38 North report continued.

The site was shut down following a summit between Trump and Kim in Singapore last summer. Trump abruptly ended talks with Kim last week. 

"Sometimes you have to walk," Trump said at a press conference after the summit. "This was just one of those times."

He said that North Korea was asking for too much in terms of lifting sanctions.

"Basically, they wanted the sanctions lifted in their entirety, and we couldn’t do that," he said.