North Korea says it successfully test-fired new submarine ballistic missile

North Korea says it successfully test-fired new submarine ballistic missile
© Getty

North Korea on Thursday announced it had successfully tested a new submarine-launched ballistic missile a day after Pyongyang and Washington said nuclear talks would resume.

State media outlet KCNA said leader Kim Jong UnKim Jong UnKim Jong Un won't be ignored: What North Korean missile tests mean The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Biden clarifies his remarks on Russia Defense & National Security — Biden works to clean up Russia flop MORE sent “warm congratulations” over the test, which it said occurred Wednesday and was intended to contain “the outside forces' threats” to North Korea and “further [bolster] up its military muscle for self-defense.”

ADVERTISEMENT

KCNA confirmed that the SLBM Pukguksong-3 missile was fired “in vertical mode” off the coast of the eastern city of Wonsan, saying the test “had no adverse impact on the security of neighboring countries.”

The State Department said in a statement to The Hill it is calling on Pyongyang to “refrain from provocations” and to remain “engaged in substantive and sustained negotiations” to bring peace to the Korean Peninsula and achieve denuclearization. 

The test flies in the face of United Nations Security Council resolutions prohibiting Pyongyang from using ballistic missile technology, but North Korea rejects them as infringements to its right to self-defense.

Ankit Panda of the U.S.-based Federation of American Scientists told Reuters the missile, which used solid fuel and appeared to be nuclear-capable, could be the most significant one launched by Pyongyang since November 2017.

The launch came a day after the State Department announced that the U.S. and North Korea would hold talks regarding Pyongyang’s nuclear program after a months-long stalemate. 

President TrumpDonald TrumpCheney challenger wins Wyoming Republican activists' straw poll We must do more to protect American Jews 6 in 10 say they would back someone other than Biden in 2024: Fox News poll MORE and Kim have held two official nuclear summits that have thus far yielded little progress. The last one, which took place in Vietnam in February, ended early without an agreement. North Korea has blamed the stalled negotiations on Washington’s “political and military provocations.”

Secretary of State Mike PompeoMike PompeoSunday shows preview: US reaffirms support for Ukraine amid threat of Russian invasion Pence to deliver keynote at fundraising banquet for South Carolina-based pregnancy center Russia suggests military deployments to Cuba, Venezuela an option MORE said last month that the Trump administration was ready to "immediately" resume negotiations with Pyongyang.