North Korea: We won't 'gift' Trump with summit before concessions

 North Korea: We won't 'gift' Trump with summit before concessions
© Dong-A Ilbo via Getty Images/Getty Images

North Korean officials on Monday said that the nation will not agree to another sit-down between the country's leader, Kim Jong UnKim Jong UnKim Jong Un seeks to continue bolstering North Korea's nuclear capabilities, state media says Overnight Defense: State Dept. watchdog was investigating emergency Saudi arms sales before ouster | Pompeo says he requested watchdog be fired for 'undermining' department | Pensacola naval base shooter had 'significant ties' to al Qaeda, Barr says Trump says investigation into Pompeo shows 'screwed up' priorities MORE, and President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump retweets personal attacks on Clinton, Pelosi, Abrams Biden swipes at Trump: 'Presidency is about a lot more than tweeting from your golf cart' GOP sues California over Newsom's vote-by-mail order MORE without something in return, according to The Associated Press.

The statement from North Korean Foreign Ministry adviser Kim Kye Gwan comes a day after Trump tweeted “You should act quickly, get the deal done. See you soon!” in a tweet addressing Kim.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Three rounds of DPRK-U.S. summit meetings and talks were held since June last year, but no particular improvement has been achieved in the DPRK-U.S. relations ... the U.S. only seeks to earn time, pretending it has made progress in settling the issue of the Korean Peninsula,” Kim Kye Gwan said in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency, using the acronym for North Korea's official name.

The statement goes on to suggest North Korea will only meet with Trump if it is satisfied the meeting will offer more than a political win for the president.

“We are no longer interested in such talks that bring nothing to us. As we have got nothing in return, we will no longer gift the U.S. president with something he can boast of, but get compensation for the successes that President Trump is proud of as his administrative achievements,” Kim Kye Gwan said, according to the AP.

The statement comes shortly after Defense Secretary Mark EsperMark EsperBirx: 'I'm very concerned when people go out and don't maintain social distancing' Roundup: Everything you need to know about COVID-19 today 125 lawmakers urge Trump administration to support National Guard troops amid pandemic MORE announced the cancellation of joint military exercises by South Korea and the U.S. in what he said was a gesture of “goodwill” toward the North.

North Korea received the announcement of the cancellation coolly, saying it would not return to the negotiating table unless the U.S. offered to end “hostile” policies toward the nation, citing a recent United Nations resolution condemning North Korean human rights violations as evidence of a U.S.-led attempt to isolate the nation.

Last week, North Korean negotiator Kim Myong Gil said the nation will not agree to a deal involving “matters of secondary importance” such as a potential formal declaration ending the Korean War, according to the AP.