North Korea test fires ‘possible submarine missile’ into Sea of Japan
North Korea on Tuesday launched a “possible submarine missile,” the South Korean military has said, according to The Associated Press.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement that it had detected one short-range ballistic missile launched from the sea near Sinpo. However, Japan’s Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said two ballistic missiles had been detected, according to Reuters.
“We are aware of the North Korean ballistic missile launch this morning into the Sea of Japan and are consulting closely with the Republic of Korea and Japan,” the U.S. military’s Indo-Pacific Command said in a statement.
Indo-Pacific Command added that North Korea’s latest launch did not pose “an immediate threat to U.S. personnel, territory, or that of its allies.”
This launch is the latest in a series of missiles tests carried out by North Korea in recent weeks, despite international sanctions over both its nuclear weapons and missile programs.
“The intelligence authorities of South Korea and the United States are currently conducting a thorough analysis regarding additional details on the missile,” according to South Korea’s Yonhap news agency.
“Our military is closely monitoring the situation and maintaining readiness posture in close cooperation with the United States, to prepare for possible additional launches,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement, according to Reuters.
However, reports added that it was not clear whether the missile was fired from a submarine or from a submersible test barge.
Last month, Japan, the United States and South Korea called on North Korea to return to talks about its nuclear development.
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.