ISIS claims credit for Vienna attack, contradicting earlier reports of suspect's identity

ISIS claims credit for Vienna attack, contradicting earlier reports of suspect's identity
© Getty Images

ISIS claimed credit Tuesday for the attack in central Vienna the previous day that killed at least four people and wounded 22 others, contradicting earlier reports identifying the alleged assailant.

The terror group released a statement, posted to the messaging app Telegram, along with a photo that claimed to show the attacker, CNN reportedISIS said Abu Dujana Al-Albany carried out the killings by using two guns, a machine gun and a knife.

The claim by ISIS follows news reports that the suspect was identified as 20-year-old Kujtim Fejzulai, who had a previous terror conviction for attempting to join the Islamic State group in Syria, The Associated Press reported.

ADVERTISEMENT

Footage of the shooting indicated the gunman was dressed in white coveralls, firing off rounds as he stormed down the streets of Austria's capital. Authorities said the suspect was shot and killed when police arrived at the scene.

The statement from ISIS called Al-Albany a "soldier of the caliphate" who killed or wounded "close to 30 Crusaders," according to a translation of the statement by the SITE Intelligence Group.

"While ISIS claimed through its most official channels, it did so a day later, after reports had already divulged the attacker's ID & likely allegiance to the group," said SITE Intelligence Group's Director Rita Katz. "For this reason, the level of coordination w/ ISIS central is unclear, unlike other attacks in Paris & Belgium."

The New York Times reported it was unclear whether the Islamic State's declaration meant others were involved in Monday's attack.

ISIS has used similar language in previous statements claiming responsibility for assaults by those individuals who carried out their actions independent of the terror group.

Monday's killings come after attacks in France that are being investigated as terror incidents.