Turkish foreign minister says Khashoggi evidence has not been shared with anyone

Turkish foreign minister says Khashoggi evidence has not been shared with anyone
© Getty Images

A Turkish official says audio recordings have not been shared with anyone, dismissing reports that they had passed on evidence in the alleged killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi to the U.S.

Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu on Friday told reporters that no voice recordings had been given to any "American official." 

Cavusoglu also told reporters Turkish investigators had obtained further evidence and information from their probe into the Khashoggi incident, according to Reuters.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Turkey has not given a voice recording to Pompeo or any other American official,” Cavusoglu told reporters on a visit to Albania.

“We will share the results that emerge transparently with the whole world. We have not shared any information at all with any country.”

The State Department also denied Thursday that it had seen any evidence or heard an audio recording from inside the consulate. 

Turkish officials told Reuters earlier this week that they have an audio recording indicating Khashoggi, a Saudi-born journalist who was critical of his home country’s royal court, was killed inside the consulate. 

The suspected death of Khashoggi, a U.S. resident and columnist for The Washington Post, has sparked an international firestorm and thrust the relationship between Washington and Riyadh in the spotlight. 

President TrumpDonald John TrumpGOP senators balk at lengthy impeachment trial Warren goes local in race to build 2020 movement 2020 Democrats make play for veterans' votes MORE on Thursday said it "certainly looks" like Khashoggi is dead and vowed "severe" consequences if the Saudis are found to be responsible.

He also told The New York Times it is "a little bit early" to be certain about who ordered the killing.

Trump's comments Thursday came hours after Treasury Secretary Steven MnuchinSteven Terner MnuchinNew book questions Harris's record on big banks On The Money: US paid record .1B in tariffs in September | Dems ramp up oversight of 'opportunity zones' | Judge hints at letting House lawsuit over Trump tax returns proceed Democrats ramp up oversight efforts over 'opportunity zone' incentive MORE said he would pull out of a high-profile investment summit in Riyadh.

Trump had previously been wary of suggesting Saud Arabia was behind the killing, saying Tuesday that there was a rush to judgment.

Meanwhile, Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoProtests serve as backdrop to Erdoğan's visit to White House Chris Wallace: Taylor testimony 'very damaging to President Trump' The Hill's 12:30 Report: Democrats open televised impeachment hearings MORE said Thursday that Saudi Arabia would have “a few more days” to complete its investigation into Khashoggi's disappearance.

Saudi Arabia has denied any involvement in the incident.