Turkish officials suggest Khashoggi's remains were removed from consulate

Turkish officials suggest Khashoggi's remains were removed from consulate
© Getty Images

Turkish investigators probing Saudi-born journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s disappearance from and suspected killing in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul are investigating the possibility that his remains were taken to a forest on the outskirts of Istanbul or to another city.

A Turkish official told the Associated Press that police have established that two vehicles belonging to the consulate drove to nearby Belgrade Forest and the city of Yalova the day Khashoggi disappeared. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The report came the same day as the Turkish foreign minister said no evidence from inside the consulate had been shared with Washington.

Turkish officials told Reuters earlier this week that they have an audio recording indicating Khashoggi, a Saudi-born journalist who was critical of his home country’s royal court, was killed inside the consulate.

The suspected death of Khashoggi, a US resident and columnist for The Washington Post, has sparked an international firestorm and thrust the relationship between Washington and Riyadh in the spotlight.

President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump opens new line of impeachment attack for Democrats Bloomberg to spend 0M on anti-Trump ads in battleground states New witness claims first-hand account of Trump's push for Ukraine probes MORE said Thursday it "certainly looks" like Jamal Khashoggi is dead and vowed "severe" consequences if the Saudis are found to be responsible.

He also told The New York Times it is "a little bit early" to be certain about who ordered the killing.

Trump's comments Thursday came hours after Treasury Secretary Steven MnuchinSteven Terner MnuchinThe Hill's Morning Report — Public impeachment drama resumes today On The Money: Trump appeals to Supreme Court to keep tax returns from NY prosecutors | Pelosi says deal on new NAFTA 'imminent' | Mnuchin downplays shutdown threat | Trump hits Fed after Walmart boasts strong earnings Lawmakers aim for agreement on top-line spending by next week MORE said he would pull out of a high-profile investment summit in Riyadh. 

Trump had previously been wary of suggesting Saud Arabia was behind the killing, saying Tuesday that there was a rush to judgment to place the blame at Riyadh’s feet.

Meanwhile, Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoFive takeaways from ex-ambassador's dramatic testimony Pompeo: No US response ruled out in Hong Kong Ousted ambassador describes State Department in 'crisis' in dramatic impeachment testimony MORE said Thursday that Saudi Arabia would have “a few more days” to complete its investigation into Khashoggi's disappearance.

Saudi Arabia has denied any involvement in the incident.