Iran's supreme leader rules out talks with US at all levels

 Iran's supreme leader rules out talks with US at all levels
© Getty Images

Iran’s supreme leader on Tuesday reportedly ruled out any talks with the U.S. amid increased tensions between the two nations in the wake of crippling attacks at oil facilities in Saudi Arabia.

“There will be no talks with the U.S. at any level ... all officials in the Islamic Republic unanimously believe this,” Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said, according to The Associated Press.

He added that Iran must prove that the Trump administration's “maximum pressure policy” is not "worth a penny for the Iranian nation."

ADVERTISEMENT

"That’s why all Iranian officials, from the president and the foreign minister to all others have announced that we do not negotiate [with the U.S.] either bilaterally or multilaterally.”

The leader’s comments come after speculation that President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump says he doesn't want NYT in the White House Veterans group backs lawsuits to halt Trump's use of military funding for border wall Schiff punches back after GOP censure resolution fails MORE and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani would meet in New York later this month at the United Nations General Assembly.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi on Monday dismissed those reports, saying “neither is such an event on our agenda, nor will it happen. Such a meeting will not take place.”

The announcement also comes days after White House counselor Kellyanne ConwayKellyanne Elizabeth ConwayTrump embarks on Twitter spree amid impeachment inquiry, Syria outrage The Hill's Campaign Report: Biden camp faces new challenges Trump offers condolences on frequent foe Cummings: 'Very hard, if not impossible, to replace' MORE said the Trump administration will “keep many options on the table,” leaving open the possibility that the president was open to talks with Iran.

Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoDiplomat who raised Ukraine concerns to testify in Trump impeachment probe Overnight Defense: Trump weighs leaving some troops in Syria to 'secure the oil' | US has pulled 2,000 troops from Afghanistan | Pelosi leads delegation to Afghanistan, Jordan Mulvaney faces uncertain future after public gaffes MORE last weekend blamed Iran for recent attacks on oil facilities in Saudi Arabia, a claim that Tehran has denied. 

Trump then said on Monday that he wants to avoid war with Iran. One day earlier, he warned that the United States was "locked and loaded" in response to attacks on Saudi oil facilities.

Iran has turned down numerous attempts to hold a meeting with the U.S. as it deals with sanctions that Trump reimposed last year after withdrawing from the Obama-era nuclear deal.