Middle East/North Africa

Saudi Arabia says it will provide proof linking Iran to oil strikes

Getty Images

Saudi Arabia on Wednesday said that it would provide evidence that connected regional rival Iran to the recent attack on its oil supply. 

The Saudi defense ministry said at a press conference it would show “material evidence and Iranian weapons proving the Iranian regime’s involvement in the terrorist attack,” according to Reuters

The U.S. and Saudi Arabia have placed blame for the incident on Iran, but Tehran has denied involvement. The attack last weekend was quickly claimed by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen. 

{mosads}“They want to impose maximum … pressure on Iran through slander,” Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani said, according to the wire service.

“We don’t want conflict in the region … Who started the conflict?” he added, blaming the U.S. and its allies in the region for the violence in Yemen.

The attack and subsequent finger-pointing comes amid increasing tensions between the U.S. and Iran. 

President Trump on Wednesday said he told Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to “substantially” increase economic sanctions on the country. 

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was expected to meet Wednesday with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to discuss the attack and coordinate efforts to combat “Iranian aggression in the region,” the State Department said Tuesday.

Washington and Tehran have had a strained relationship since Trump pulled the U.S. out of a nuclear deal with Iran last year.

Tags Donald Trump Houthi rebels Iran Mike Pompeo Oil attack sanctions Saudi Arabia Steven Mnuchin
See all Hill.TV See all Video

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video