Dozens dead following bombing attack at Afghanistan mosque

Dozens dead following bombing attack at Afghanistan mosque
© Getty Images

At least 100 people were either killed or wounded following a bombing attack on a Shiite Muslim mosque in the Afghan city of Kunduz.

The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan said on Twitter that it was “deeply concerned” by reports of “very high casualties” from the attack.

“Initial information indicates more than 100 people killed and injured in a suicide blast inside the mosque,” the mission said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dost Mohammad Obaida, a Taliban police official in Kunduz, said a suicide bomber within the worshippers may have carried out the attack, according to The Associated Press.

Obaida said a “majority” of the victims were killed.

Witnesses told The Wall Street Journal that the explosion took place near the provincial governor’s office at around 1 p.m.

Zabiullah Mujahid, a spokesperson for the Taliban, said earlier on Friday that “a number of our compatriots were martyred and injured,” the newspaper reported. He further said special forces arrived on the scene to begin investigating.

Images posted on social media appeared to show extensive damage to the mosque, according to the BBC. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The bombing comes about a week after a bombing at the entrance of Eid Gah Mosque in Afghanistan’s capital city of Kabul killed at least two people. The bombing had occurred during a memorial service for Mujahid.

ISIS-Khorasan (ISIS-K), ISIS’s affiliate in Afghanistan, claimed responsibility for that attack. About a day later, the Taliban said it carried out a counterattack in which it destroyed an ISIS-K cell responsible for the bombing.

The mission further said the attack was part of a “disturbing pattern of violence.”

The Taliban has been in control of Afghanistan since the U.S. and allied forces withdrew from the country in August.  

This story was updated at 9:57 a.m.