US says allied forces in Syria have retaken prison after ISIS attack
The United States said on Sunday that allied forces in Syria have successfully retaken a prison following an attack by ISIS that left dozens dead.
In a statement, national security adviser Jake Sullivan said the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) were able to “re-take full control” of Hasakah prison, ending the prison break attempt from ISIS.
“Thanks to the bravery and determination of the SDF, many of whom paid the ultimate sacrifice, ISIS failed in its efforts to conduct a large-scale prison break to reconstitute its ranks,” Sullivan said in a statement.
U.S. officials condemned the attempted prison break on Tuesday, extending their condolences to guards who died in the attack.
More than 100 militants attacked the prison in an effort to free detained ISIS members, prompting a firefight with U.S.-backed Kurdish fighters that left dozens dead, according to The Associated Press.
Reports of the death toll ranged from six to 23 Kurdish fighters and 28 to 39 ISIS militants, according to the AP.
The forces’ commander, Mazloum Abadi, tweeted that all fugitives had been arrested.
The U.S. provided airstrikes to support the forces as they fought to retake the prison, according to the Pentagon.
Sullivan added Sunday that ISIS’s violent prison break attempt showed why the terrorist organization must be contained, saying nations “must work together to address the thousands of ISIS detainees in inadequate detention facilities.”
“ISIS remains a global threat that requires a global solution. The United States remains committed to working with our partners in Iraq and northeast Syria, and the Defeat-ISIS Coalition, to counter the ISIS threat to our homelands,” Sullivan concluded in his statement.