UAE intercepts 3 drones in latest attack
The United Arab Emirates said it had intercepted three drones that entered its airspace over unpopulated areas on Wednesday, Reuters reported.
The responsibility for the attack was claimed by “True Promise Brigades” according to Reuters which cited a briefing from U.S. based SITE Intelligence Group.
The report added that the group previously claimed militant action in January 2021, when it claimed it launched a drone at Saudi Arabia.
The move comes after the Iran-backed Houthi rebels launched a series of missiles and drones at the UAE, including a failed attack aimed at a base hosting U.S. troops.
In the most recent attack on Monday, the UAE said it intercepted a missile during a visit by Israel’s president Isaac Herzog. The UAE’s defense ministry said it intercepted and destroyed the projectile, pieces of which fell in unpopulated areas, according to Reuters. Authorities did not specify where the missile was heading, according to the newswire.
The United States also announced it is sending fighter jets and a guided missile destroyer to the United Arab Emirates on Wednesday to help the partner nation against recent missile attacks from Yemen’s Houthi rebels, according to the Pentagon.
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, in a Tuesday call with Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, said Washington is taking “a range of actions” to support the UAE, press secretary John Kirby said in a statement.
Those include sending the U.S. Navy’s USS Cole guided missile destroyer to partner with the UAE Navy before making a port call in Abu Dhabi.