At least eight people were killed when a gunman attacked a school in Russia on Monday, while nearly two dozen others were wounded.
The Associated Press and The Washington Post reported that seven eighth grade students were killed in the attack, along with one teacher. The suspected gunman, who is 19, is in custody, according to Russian officials.
The name of the suspected shooter was not immediately released, but police added that at least one firearm had been found registered in his name.
“The terrorist has been arrested, [he is] 19 years old. A firearm is registered in his name. Other accomplices haven’t been established, an investigation is underway,” said Rustam Minnikhanov, governor of the Republican of Tatarstan. The shooting occurred in the state's capital, Kazan.
One weapon was recovered after the attack, a Turkish-manufactured shotgun known as an Hatsan Escort, according to the Post.
Russian President Vladimir PutinVladimir Vladimirovich PutinUkraine rejects claims that it violated Belarus air space Ernst on Russian buildup on Ukraine border: 'We must prepare for the worst' Biden cannot allow his domestic fumbles to transfer to the world stage MORE has reportedly asked a top official to reevaluate the country's regulations on private gun ownership by civilians after the attack and to consider changes to which types of weapons are allowed to be owned by private individuals, according to a Kremlin spokesperson.
The spokesperson added that Putin had dispatched a plane carrying medics, psychologists and other experts to the region affected by the shooting, the Post noted.
“The thing is that firearms, which are used as assault rifles and similar weapons in certain countries, are sometimes registered as hunting guns. The Russian National Guard will urgently consider the issue,” Putin's press secretary, Dmitry Peskov, said.