Vice President Mike PenceMichael (Mike) Richard PenceBiden, Trump tied in potential 2024 match-up: poll Nearly 80 percent of Republicans want to see Trump run in 2024: poll Why is Trump undermining his administration's historic China policies? MORE on Wednesday challenged reports that a U.S. raid in Yemen that left a Navy SEAL dead and killed a number of civilians yielded no significant intelligence.
"I can tell you that Secretary [James] Mattis, as recently as yesterday, confirmed again to the administration that there was significant intelligence that was gathered, that will lead to American success and to the safety and security of the American people," Pence said in an interview on CBS's "This Morning."
The White House has repeated claims that the mission was a success and yielded valuable intelligence.
But NBC, citing senior Pentagon officials, reported last Wednesday that the U.S. obtained no significant intelligence through the mission. When asked about that report, Pence responded: "That is wrong."
The Jan. 29 raid on al Qaeda's Arabian Peninsula offshoot was the first such military action to be authorized by President Trump, and has since become a point of controversy for the White House.
The father of SEAL William "Ryan" Owens, who was killed in the raid, refused to meet with Trump after the commando's body was returned to the U.S. In an interview with the Miami Herald earlier this month, he called for an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the mission.
During a Tuesday-night speech to a joint session of Congress, Trump pointed out that Ryan Owens's wife was in the audience.
“Ryan died as he lived: a warrior, and a hero, battling against terrorism and securing our nation,” Trump said.